Thursday, February 28, 2008

Take a Leap

Tomorrow, as you surely know, is a leap day. Last leap year I was a second semester freshman. I was taking lit analysis and American lit survey and a couple of horrendously boring communication classes.
I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with myself - what I wanted to be. I determined that I wanted to be an English major and ditch the inane com classes. Other than that, I haven't come very far. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. But I finally have some options for the short term future. I have been accepted to a couple of grad programs. Now I just have to decide which path to choose and when to start. That will give me a plan for the next few years. And I like plans.

Anyway, back to leap day. One of my favorite episodes of one of my favorite television shows, Fraiser, is entitled "Take a Leap." It's about leap day and the various risky decisions or leaps of faith that Frasier, Niles, Daphne, Martin, and Roz decide to take. They decide that since leap day is like an extra day of life, they should celebrate by living life to the fullest. All these leap day leaps end, naturally, in disaster. I don't plan to take any big leaps tomorrow, but I do plan to enjoy the day. I have to drive to work in the snow, spend nine hours at work, then drive three more hours down to Cedarville. That all adds up to a rather mediocre day. But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy it. Right?

Sometimes it's good to remember that life is made up of these little days all strung together. I probably sound like a broken record these last few posts, but I really do want to try to enjoy my life as it comes. There's no sense living in the future. Tomorrow is an extra day, and I will live it to it's ordinary day fullest.

1 comment:

NotSoKosher said...

The leap day episode!! Love it. :)

I hope your leap day was enjoyable, I didn't know you were in Cedarville again! I was totally here! You have to let us know these things Benjamin.... :P

Bonsoirée!